Ragweed (Ambrosia artemisiifolia L) is an annual herbaceous plant with dark green leaves with white hairs along the stem. Ragweed is presence is widespread in eastern Canada. Its pollen allergen provokes rhinitis in a large portion of the population.
- Ragweed is the subject of ecological monitoring in several municipalities as highly allergenic pollen provokes strong reactions in a significant percentage of the population.
- These allergies cause significant costs to society including drug costs and care.
- Ragweed Off, a saline based product is used in many municipalities to reduce its spread.
How to identify
- Ragweed is distinguished from other plants by the fineness of its leaves. Indeed its dark green leaves have a ” jagged “ edge.
- Its stems are covered with fine white hairs.
Ragweed grows mainly on roadsides, in vacant lots, agricultural land etc.
- Mowing allows a reduction in pollen in the air but does not allow a reduction of the plant.
- Ragweed Off is a solution that targets the plants and allows a reduction in the presence of plants in a given area year after year.
Symptoms of allergic rhinitis
Runny nose , sneezing and nasal itching characterizes the main symptoms of allergic rhinitis caused by ragweed . Rhinitis is more commonly known as hay fever.
How to protect yourself
- To address effectively the problem caused by the allergen, think about a comprehensive solution that reduces the spread of pollen.
- A Ragweed Off treatment is the most effective way since it is both ecological and guarantees a long-term solution.
- If you are struggling with the issue of ragweed in your municipality , do not hesitate to suggest Ragweed Off to your elected officials.