How to remove a tick
Remove the tick quickly to avoid infection because the bacteria that causes Lyme disease needs the tick to remain on the skin for more than 24 hours.
1. Using pointed tweezers, delicately grip the tick as close to the skin as possible. Pull it straight out, gently but firmly.
2. Do not squash the tick because this could accidentally introduce into the body the bacteria that causes Lyme disease.
3. Do not put the tick in alcohol or on sticky tape.
4. After removing the tick, place it in an airtight container like an empty pill bottle and keep it in the freezer until you are ready to submit it for analysis.
5. Carefully clean the the bite with soap and water or disinfect it with rubbing alcohol.