Poison ivy (Toxicodendron radicans ), has a plant substance called uushiol that causes an allergic reaction when it comes in contact with your skin. All parts of the plant contain this substance except for the pollen.
Poison ivy is a plant that can be found in various forms . It may look like a small bush or a creeper. The sap of this plant causes severe itching when in contact with your skin. To prevent contact with the plant, limit expose skin, wear proper atire such as socks and pants when hiking in forested trails.
- Clean the area that has come into contact with the sap of the poison ivy plant.
- Wash all contaminated clothing and objects with warm soap and water.
- Cold water compresses with baking soda relieves itching.
How to protect yourself
- Several municipalities are taking steps to address the problem of Poison Ivy.
- Some municipalities treat roadsides with a green herbicide.
- Individual Solutions : Protect yourself by wearing long clothing, and limit the area of possible exposure to plants.